Working Holidays in Spain: The Ultimate Guide

Working Holidays in Spain

Are you dreaming of exploring the vibrant culture and sunny beaches of Spain while also earning some cash? A working holiday in Spain might be the perfect opportunity for you! In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about working holidays in Spain. Read on!

What is a working holiday?

A working holiday allows young people to visit a foreign country and work there for a period of time. The program usually takes up to one year.

The purpose of a working holiday is to combine work with travel. This program gives individuals the opportunity to experience a new culture, meet new people, and gain valuable work experience. As we said, working holiday programs promote youth mobility and professional development. Hence, Spain’s working holiday visa is typically open to individuals between the ages of 18 and 30. It often involves short-term or temporary employment in a variety of fields, such as hospitality, tourism, or agriculture.

In addition to working, participants are also able to explore their host country and enjoy the local sights and experiences.

Working Holidays in Spain

Spain working holiday visa

If you’re considering a working holiday in Spain, it’s essential to learn the details of the Spanish working holiday visa. While we aim to provide you with all the necessary information, it’s always a good idea to verify the accuracy of the data to ensure it’s current.

The Spain working holiday visa permits young people from eligible countries to travel to Spain and work for a limited period while also experiencing the local culture. The duration of the visa and the requirements for eligibility may differ depending on the applicant’s home country.

To obtain the visa, you must initiate the application process from your home country. This can be done through a Spanish embassy, a Spanish consulate, or an authorized third-party visa service center. The processing of your visa application can take several months. Therefore, it’s advisable to apply well in advance to avoid any last-minute panic.

After the processing time, you will be given an appointment date to present all the documents required. In addition to the typical documents like a valid passport or passport photos, you will also need to show proof of sufficient financial means. This is to demonstrate that you can support yourself throughout your stay. You’ll also need to provide evidence of a return flight ticket or sufficient funds to purchase one later.

Further documents you need to work abroad

Apart from the requirements mentioned earlier, there are other documents that you need to obtain to work in Spain legally.

Firstly, you will need to acquire a police clearance, a medical certificate that must have been issued within the past three months, and medical insurance from a valid Spanish provider. Moreover, you must also provide proof of at least two years of higher education, as well as evidence of a basic understanding of the Spanish language.

Additionally, you will require a letter of support from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, a Foreigner’s Identification Number (which is also known as a work authorization), and a pre-arranged employment contract.

Upon arrival in Spain, it is necessary to obtain a Foreigner’s Identity Card. You can get it at the local Foreigner’s Office or Police Station within 30 days. It is important to bring your passport, a copy of your visa, and your Foreigner’s Identification Number when obtaining this card.

After completing all of these requirements, the visa will grant you the ability to live and work in Spain for a maximum of one year. It is important to note that within this year, the maximum employment period is limited to six months and you can only work for the same employer for three months.

Planning for Your Spanish Working Holiday Budget

When it comes to working holidays in Spain, one of the most important things to consider is your budget.

To even apply for a Spain working holiday visa, you will need to have at least 500 EUR per month for your stay. However, we recommend setting aside some extra cash depending on where you plan to stay or where you want to travel.

Working Holidays in Spain

Choosing to live in a major city like Barcelona, or a smaller one like Granada, can make a difference in your monthly expenses. For instance, the cost of living, including rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center, transportation, food, and entertainment, is around 1,500 USD in Barcelona. Instead, it is approximately 1,000 USD in Granada. As you can see, the difference is quite significant.

Of course, your daily expenses will also depend on your spending habits. You can certainly cut costs by avoiding eating out, walking more, and participating in free activities for entertainment.

The minimum wage in Spain is 7.55 EUR per hour. Working full-time at 40 hours per week will earn you 1,125.83 EUR per month (1,250 USD). While it may not leave you with much savings, it is enough to cover your living expenses if you are careful with your spending.

A word from SpainDesk

It is normal to be undecided about whether embarking on a working holiday in Spain is a wise choice. However, keep in mind that the Spain working holiday visa has an age limit. If you delay too long, the opportunity may pass you by.

There’s no better way to broaden your horizons and develop as a person than by challenging yourself in an unfamiliar setting. You’ll acquire the ability to adapt to any circumstance and meet individuals from all walks of life.

Spain is an incredibly beautiful country. Not everyone will have the opportunity to explore its numerous attractions while still keeping their finances in check. Taking your time to travel throughout Spain will also enable you to truly comprehend Spanish culture while discovering hidden gems known only to locals.

Disclaimer: Information on this page may be incomplete or outdated. Under no circumstances should the information listed be considered professional legal or financial advice. We highly recommend seeking guidance from a legal or financial expert if you lack extensive knowledge or experience dealing with any of the procedures outlined in these articles.