Are you a UK citizen looking for a Spanish property lawyer? Our team of Spanish property lawyers is ready to help you. We offer expert legal advice to UK citizens that want to buy or sell property in Spain. We understand the Spanish legal system and are experts in the Spanish conveyancing process. If you need anything done related to buying property or selling property, then read more information on how we can help you below.
How can we help as your property lawyer?
Our Spanish property lawyers deal specifically with regulations related to Spanish property. They are experts on Spanish law related to Spanish property and can help foreigners with a variety of tasks related to property in Spain. They give advice and manage legal matters on behalf of UK citizens on topics such as:
- Buying a property in Spain
- Selling a property in Spain
- Property taxes
- Eviction from a property
- Disputes around property
- Power of Attorney
- Insurance on property
- Property investing
- Inheritance tax
- Commercial contracts
- Unpaid rents
- Neighbourhood disturbances
- Construction and building permits
Our solicitors stand for due diligence, professional advice, typical costs, and excellent client relation. You can get complete guidance from our highly qualified and well-trained property lawyers.
The process of buying property in Spain
Below we discuss aspects of buying property in Spain.
Why do UK citizens buy property in Spain?
Buying property is very popular for UK citizens. They use Spanish property mainly as holiday homes. It can also provide a good
- Primary home
- Option to work from home
- Way to retire in Spain
- Opportunity to get the Golden Visa (if the price is 500.000 EURO or more)
Spain offers a wonderful climate, lovely coastlines, amazing mountains. Spanish property is also very cheap compared to prices in the UK. As Spain’s economy is doing well, you can expect a greater return on investment when purchasing a Spanish property.
How to buy property in Spain
Various things need to be taken into consideration when planning to buy property in Spain. You will need to
- Choose an estate agent
- Choose a Spanish lawyer
- Choose a location to search
- Consider other costs for buying property costs
- Consider Spanish mortgages
- Consider the language barriers
Specialist in Spanish property buying
Our property lawyers deal with a wide range of issues. There are a lot of pitfalls when buying property but also scams when trying to sell the property. Sometimes more complex transactions, such as business transactions, contractual buying, or off-plan buying require specialised legal knowledge. In this case, we can also be your competent specialist. These are standard issues but also specialised ones.
The process of buying a home in Spain
We’ll cover the legal steps and themes we can help you with below. Through a Power of Attorney, we can help you with the full process of buying and settling in Spain.
Steps for buying property in Spain
You will need to go through a legal process when buying Spanish property. Below are the general steps our Spanish Property lawyers will guide you through
- Agreeing on the preliminary sale contract
- Signing the initial sale contract
- The Notary public office and registration with the Spanish land registry (Registro de la Propiedad) or with a local council is a private purchase.
- Exchange of mutual acceptance deed at Spanish notary public office for valuation and stamp duty
- Registration of deed at Spanish land register (Registro de la Propiedad) and pay registration tax (Impuesto de Transmisiones Patrimoniales y Actos Jurídicos Documentados)
- If the sale involves a mortgage, request your bank to issue your loan.
- Transfer funds from your account to the seller through a certified cheque or bank draft as full payment of the purchase.
- Settlement of the sale at a Spanish notary public office and pay registration tax (Impuesto de Transmisiones Patrimoniales y Actos Jurídicos Documentados)
- Exchange of keys
Next to the property
- That the property is registered correctly in your name
- If there are any third-party debts on the property to be paid from the sale proceeds.
- Correctly registration in the Spanish tax system
- That you have a NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjera), and if not, we will get this for you
- Our Spanish property lawyers will also assist you with any additional duties you require by the Spanish authorities.
- Check if the property is registered properly
- Make sure to speak with the right broker involved
- Check if the broker did everything according to the Spanish property law
- Checking if no fraud is taking place from the seller
- Make sure you will deliver the home without any defects
Next to this, we can also take care of
- Immigration matters, such as the Visa or a Golden Visa
- Setting up a bank account
- Getting valuations and surveys done
- Arranging the transfer of utility billing
- Arranging a property inspection
The process of selling property in Spain
If you are thinking of selling property in Spain, there are other factors to take into consideration, such as:
Our tax lawyers can assist you if you look for professional tax advice. We offer a simple and effective service to handle all your legal matters related to Spain property, including the documentation of selling.
Spanish estate agent vs Spanish property lawyer
In Spain, estate agents and property lawyers work together, and it is wise to get involved with both when buying or selling property. Our lawyers are not directly involved in the sale itself, but they serve as an intermediary between an estate agent and buyer or sellers. Unlike in the UK, estate agents don’t deal with legal matters. This way, buyers do not only deal with an effective estate agent but also need a reliable Spanish lawyer on their side that can provide all the legal services they need.
How can our property lawyers in Spain help you?
The main task of SpainDesk’s property lawyers is to provide detailed advice and full legal support within the Spanish real estate market. We protect your interests and your property from fraud and legal issues, and we assist in the preparation of all documents and help to provide a completely legal transaction.
Use SpainDesk when buying or selling a home or renting it out. We make sure the transaction is smooth and defend your rights. Buying, selling and renting can be best accomplished with Spanish property lawyers on your side. Reach out to us via the contact form, and one of our lawyers will contact you.
Why hire our service?
SpainDesk’s team of Spanish property lawyers offers clients a high service standard. We have more than ten years of experience, and we can provide personal advice that caters to your needs. Our services are:
- Straightforward, easy & transparent
- Expert advisors to take care of your best interests in Spain
- Friendly, professional service in English or Spanish
- Experienced property lawyers that understand the laws entirely and work quickly
- No cost for an initial consultation
- Quality guaranteed
Advice in your language
Our lawyers in Spain speak fluently Spanish and English. This is needed because there is a language barrier when buying property in Spain between foreign purchasers and sellers. The experience of our lawyers in Spanish and English assures a smooth process.
A word from SpainDesk
When you use a lawyer, you ensure all procedures are carried out correctly. The Spanish legal system is different from the UK. The conveyancing process entails that the buyer and seller almost always need to deal with an expert in Spanish property lawyers. It will help you to avoid delays, additional fees, or getting in trouble with Spanish law. We offer a complete range of these services related to buying and selling property in Spain. Contact SpainDesk’s team of Spanish property lawyers today and get more information on how we can help you. With our expert advice, you will be able to make the right decision when buying or selling property in Spain.